Did your scorching shower turn into a chilly wake-up call? Is the new water in your faucets more lukewarm? You probably have an electric scorching water heater, the heating elements most definitely require substitute. You scorching water heater uses two separate heating parts. One factor at the underside of the tank heats that water for speedy use. The higher heating factor retains the water hot and acts as a back-up of types to the lower heating ingredient. It is best to first check the new water heater elements to find out if they need changing or if perhaps there are different elements contributing to your chilly shower. Electric hot water heater ingredient substitute requires draining the hot water tank.
There are two various kinds of sizzling water heater components. Some water heaters use a screw-on component, while others use a component that secures to the tank with bolts. If you end up changing an electric hot water heater aspect, it’s a good suggestion to take away the outdated one and take it with you to a plumbing provide home or equipment repair shop. Some home enchancment stores also carry alternative parts. Having the previous ingredient with you’ll assist ensure that you get the right dimension aspect for your scorching water heater.
Things You may Need For The Undertaking:
Substitute heating component
Remove Defective Hot Water Heater Factor
1. Locate the circuit breaker for the hot water heater inside your own home electrical panel field. The inside door of the panel field should indicate which breaker controls the hot water heater. If in doubt, flip the principle breaker off to the home.
2. Go to the new water heater, and switch off the water provide valve. The water supply valve is above the water heater tank on the home plumbing line. Turn the valve clockwise to shut off the water to the tank.
3. Thread one end of a backyard hose onto the drain valve at the underside of the electric sizzling water heater. Place the opposite end of the hose either outside or in a nearby bathtub. When you place the hose outdoors, make certain to keep children and pets away from the hose. Though one or both of the heating parts could also be unhealthy, the water within the tank can nonetheless be scalding hot.
Four. Turn the drain valve knob counterclockwise to start draining the water from the tank. If you’re only changing the higher hot water heating aspect, you solely have to drain half of the water out of the tank. In case you are changing both scorching water heating elements or just the decrease ingredient, drain the tank utterly. Turn on the closest hot water faucet to help in draining the tank and go away it on after the tank drains.
5. Shut the drain valve when there is no such thing as a more water draining through the hose. Flip the valve clockwise with your hand to close the drain valve.
6. Remove the thermostat covers on the aspect of the hot water tank. There are two covers on the tank, one for the higher thermostat and heating element, and one for the decrease ones. Take away the securing screws with a Phillips-head screwdriver. Pull back any insulation that is masking the thermostats and heating ingredient. Look at the element to determine in case you have the screw-on sort or the bolt-in sort. The bottom of the factor is spherical and is above the thermostats.
7. Place small items of masking tape on each wire going to the new water heater parts. Mark the wire location onto the tape with a pencil. This can help you later when putting in the new hot water heater elements. Loosen the terminal screws that safe the wires to the factor with the Phillips-head screwdriver. Pull the wires away from the factor.
Eight. Turn the heating ingredient counterclockwise with a pair of vise grips, when you have the screw-on type of heating component. There is a particular wrench accessible for removing screw-on components. A large socket wrench will even work to take away the heating factor from the hot water water heater. You probably have the bolt-in sort component, take away the bolts with a socket wrench. When pulling the bolt-in kind factor out, concentrate to the course of the mounting plate. This may assist when installing the brand new component.
Installing The new Scorching Water Heater Ingredient
1. Apply pipe dope to the threads of the screw-on heating factor. Thread the component into the recent water heater tank until the component is hand tight. Tighten the element fully using a socket wrench or vise grips. When you’ve got the bolt-in sort aspect, wipe off the contact area around the hole of the water heater tank with a rag. You need an excellent seal between the ingredient mounting bracket gasket and the tank. Insert the aspect into the tank, ensuring to seat the gasket and the mounting bracket flush to the aspect of the tank. Thread the retaining bolts via the mounting gasket till they are hand tight. Tighten the mounting bolts with a socket wrench, working one after the other in a diagonal sample.
2. Loosen the terminal screws on the heating aspect enough to wrap the ends of the hot water heater wires around the neck of the screws. Bend the wire ends across the neck of the terminal screws, and tighten the screws to secure the wires.
3. Activate the cold water supply to the hot water heater, and allow the tank to fill with water. Watch the area across the seam between the heating element and the hot water tank as the tank is filling to examine for leaks. Tighten the ingredient as essential to eradicate any leaks. Go to the faucet you turned on when draining the tank. When water is flowing via the faucet with none air gurgling, turn the faucet off.
Four. Push the insulation again into the water heater tank cavity, and install the cover panels. Take away the garden hose from the drain valve, and activate the circuit breaker to the new water heater. Permit 30 minutes for the water to heat completely before taking that scorching shower after changing your electric scorching water heater elements.